This job will be of interest to readers of this blog. Computer vision and machine learning applied to cultural heritage, archaeology and digital humanities.
Deadline 15 February.
Via Dr Arianna Traviglia.
PostDoc on Computer Vision and Machine Learning (CCHT@Ca’Foscari) – [ Postdoc ]
Added on: 26/09/2019 – Expires on 15/02/2020
The IIT Centre for Cultural Heritage Technology (CCHT@Ca’Foscari) of the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT) in Venice has been established for researching and promoting new technologies and approaches for recording, documentation, analysis and preservation of Cultural Heritage in a broad sense (artistic, archaeological, archival, historical heritage). A strongly interdisciplinary infrastructure, the Centre combines expertise from computing and conservation sciences domains, integrating these competencies to foster cutting-edge research.
CCHT@Ca’Foscari is currently seeking to appoint a Senior PostDoc (i.e. minimum of 3 year experience outside PhD program) with a solid background in Computer Vision and Machine Learning approaches and methods, to be applied to Cultural Heritage applications. The search seeks at consolidating CCHT expertise especially in one or more of the following applications (not comprehensive list): 3D artefact digitisation and recording, document and text analysis, artefact classification and remote sensing data processing.
The selected candidate will join an interdisciplinary team of researchers, contributing to the development of next generation Computer Vision and Machine Learning approaches applied to the Cultural Heritage and, more broadly, Digital Humanities domains.
- a Ph.D. in computer science or related field (with specialisation in either Computer Vision or Machine Learning) and +3 years CV/ML experience outside PhD, OR demonstrated similar experience;
- Knowledge of programming languages, e.g. Python, MATLAB etc.;
- Experience in grant proposal preparation at National and/or European level;
- Interest in cultural heritage (applications to archaeology, art, artefact studies etc) and, more broadly, Digital Humanities
- Proven interdisciplinary collaborations with scientific staff or stakeholders in the Cultural Heritage /Digital Humanities fields.
- Good communication skills and ability to cooperate;
- Proficient in English language (written and oral).
- Strong track record of research publications in top tier conferences and journals (e.g. CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICML, NIPS, PAMI, JMLR, etc.).
- Experience in supervising or co-supervising Ph.D. students or postdocs;
- Knowledge of OpenCV, PCL and Open3D libraries;
- Experience on Deep Learning algorithms and relevant platforms (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, Theano, Caffe);
The successful candidate will be offered a competitive salary commensurate to experience and skills.
The call will remain open until the position is filled but a first deadline for evaluation of candidates will be on February 15th, 2020. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “CCHT Computer Vision and Machine Learning Senior PostDoc BC 77512” in the e-mail subject. Your application must include (as separate documents):
- a detailed CV
- a research statement, expanding on current and past research
- 3 representative publications.
- name and contacts of two referees
Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia – IIT (www.iit.it) – was founded with the objective of promoting Italy’s technological development and further education in science and technology. In this framework, IIT’s scientific program is based on the combination of basic scientific research with the development of technical applications, a major inspirational principle. The research areas cover scientific topics of high innovative content, representing the most advanced frontiers of modern technology, with wide application possibilities in various fields ranging from medicine to industry, from computer science to robotics, life sciences and nanobiotechnology.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an equal opportunity employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
Please note that the data that you provide will be used exclusively for the purpose of professional profiles’ evaluation and selection, and in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone +39 010 71781 – email: dpo[at]iit.it )